East-West Hosts

We're two writers living on opposite coasts, finding our way as professionals, women, artists, and friends. Our speciality? Breakthrough conversations.

Monday, July 02, 2007

B-days on opposite coasts

Jen and I have spent a handful of birthdays in the same city, living it up, and a couple on opposite coasts, since she moved to Seattle two years ago. This year was a big one for her, and the best thing I could think to do was plan a trip so we could celebrate in person. I like the idea of celebrating b-days months later when it suits everyone. My friend Evelyn turned 40 in April but wanted a summer party in her dad's gorgeous Lancaster County backyard, so she had it this weekend. My grandmother used to have Christmas in July so that she could spoil all of us grandkids in person before heading south to Florida for the summer. And now Jen and I will be celebrating her b-day not in late June, as in years past, but in mid-September, when the weather is dry in Seattle and the lattes are flowing just as yummy. I can't wait. I love spoiling my friends for their birthdays, but it's even more fun to spoil them on their home turf, especially when that's thousands of miles away in a dream of a city.

I turn 35 in October, and I think I should plan the 30th birthday party I never had, due to a debaucle of a housesitting situation and an overall pre-mid-life crisis. Maybe Gavin's house will be done by then and he'll let me bring humans here instead of just pets. I like the idea of inhabiting a new space with the people I love. I like the idea that it would be in Gavin's space, where I am spending more and more time and liking it more and more. My dream would be that Jen would be here, too, having spent enough time with Gavin and me to feel like part of the family. That one may have to be put off a few months, too, which is fine with me. Those who know me know that I have a high degree of comfort with the flixibility of time.

Regardless, having the b-day that keeps on giving is peachy to me. If we keep insisiting on making meaning out of these milestones, we might as well get a couple of chances as it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home